The Voice

The Student News Site of Cypress Springs High School

The Voice

The Voice

Lady Panthers hustle into Regional Semifinals

One year later, same destination, but a whole different ball game.

The Lady Panthers will find themselves in familiar territory today at 5:30 in Lufkin, Texas at the Panther Activity Center as the faceoff with Duncanville in the regional Semifinals.

Last year the Lady Panthers playoff journey stopped there but while last year’s squad was good the talent of this year’s team has been unstoppable.  Cy Springs is coming off a 75-51 victory over Klein Collins and enters today’s contest on a 28 game winning streak and with a 30-2 record . While Duncanville, also the Panthers, has had a strong season as well with a 31-4 record and are on a nine game winning streak.

The Lady Panthers captured the district championship going undefeated in district with a 14-0 record. They not only won but dominated their opponents averaging 66 points a game and applying the pressure on defense. Those same skills have propelled them through the playoffs.

In Bi-District action, the team cruised past Klein 81-31. The offensive explosion was led by senior Ma’riya Vincent, scoring from all over the floor and dropping 30 points. Junior Ayla McDowell also scored in double digits with 17 points. The whole team got in on the action with seven other players scoring. The offensive showcase resulted in 46 points in the first half and 35 points in second half. Defense held Klein to only five points in each the third and fourth quarters.

The Lady Panthers continued to roll against Grand Oaks 80-37 in round two action. They took the lead early in first quarter 14-5 and never looked back. The team added 21 points in the second quarter, 29 in third and capped off the win with 16 points in the fourth. Vincent and McDowell lead the attack with 24 points each while freshman Jemini Mitchell had 18 points.

The toughest postseason game thus far was against Klein Collins the quickness of  the Tigers kept Springs on their toes in the first half.  The Lady Panther found themselves with only a slight lead after the first quarter 18-10.  The fast paced game had both teams breathing hard at the end of the first half with the Lady Panthers leading 38-25. After a half time buzzer beater things got better as all facets of the game set in. Springs’ offense became unstoppable and defense went to another level to completely take control by end of third quarter, leading 58-36.

Scoring leaders were McDowell and Mitchell with 20 points each. Vincent also knocked down 16 points. Emery Harlason and Melanie Hodges also came up with some big baskets with nine and eight points respectively. The victory earned them a trip back to the regional Semifinals where the ladies have some unfinished business.

This weekend they look to finish it and achieve their goal of advancing to State.