The Voice

The Student News Site of Cypress Springs High School

The Voice

The Voice

Should children be informed about the reality of Santa Claus or not?

The existence of Santa Claus is a question that inevitably arises in the minds of many people at some stage of their lives. Personally, I was always doubting it, I couldn’t tell if Santa was real or not, I also had so many questions that made me suspect even more. Despite any doubts that I may have had, I continuously convinced myself of Santa’s reality, as I believed in him every Christmas. The enchanting narrative of Santa visiting every household in a single night and giving gifts to every child was undeniably one of the most enchanting aspects, and the sense of magic.

Now, considering that the kids are the ones that believe in Santa Claus. Should children even be lied to and be hidden from the truth? Well, everyone definitely has a different opinion about this. Knowing that the average of parents keeps the truth and kids find out by the age of 5-9, does Santa Claus really make a difference in Christmas for the children? ¨I think Santa Claus doesn’t make a difference, it’s all in the children’s head. The Christmas spirit is the same with and without Santa to me,” Saray Gainza said.

Next, another important question is, how much would it affect the children to know the reality about Santa Claus? Dulio Mendoza believes “allowing your child to believe, even though they eventually will find out the truth, will not be traumatizing or harmful to their development. Therefore fantasy and mythical beings, such as Santa, the tooth fairy and even Disney princesses can be very real to young children to a point that they might even get sad or be a little disappointed with the news.¨

Equally important, a question that had to be answered and asked. What is a personal experience with Santa?

Emma Kristek tells us how she once felt and what she thought and now thinks. ¨I always loved Santa and was always excited for it to be Christmas Eve, to have Santa walk in my house.  However, I was aware that eventually the moment would arrive when I would be informed that Santa Claus was not real, and I would become a part of the realm of gloom alongside everyone else. Like all the adults, I could easily tell that were not even excited about Christmas and it made it less fun.

Finally, we have discussed if it’s right or wrong for children to know the truth about Santa. Truth is there is no right or wrong answer, everything depends on what people think and want. Everyone has different opinions and have had different experiences which affected their way of thinking. Now, the fact of children being told the truth or not just depends, it is professionally proven that finding out the truth doesn’t affect children. It is completely safe for children to play a role in all Santa fantasies. Let children live happily and have their own unique experiences before they do learn what real life is.