How A Kick-ball Game Can Change Your Life In Less Than A Second

Andres Garcia comeback from his kick ball injury results in a successful junior swim season.

Amanda Alvarado Aldana, Staff Reporter

Imagine you’re out playing kickball with your friends on a typical day and out of nowhere you hear a crack, and you fall and can’t walk for the next 3 months. Well, this happened to Andres Garcia, a varsity swimmer during his sophomore year. Him and his friends decided to go out in the morning before homecoming just to forget about how nervous they were. When he was trying to get another home run for his team he slides into home plate and when he tries to get up he falls and notices that his ankle is twisted. His friends carried him to a bench and made him a bag of ice out of a chips bag. Since they thought he was being dramatic like always they just continued to play and took him home afterwards.

The doctor said his leg was broken and that he couldn’t put pressure on it so sadly he didn’t go to homecoming that year. He slowly returned to swimming, but it wasn’t the same as he had lost six pounds of muscle. He used to be one of the fastest ones and now he was always the slowest one. This was hard for him physically and mentally. When districts arrived, the coach told him he couldn’t be varsity this year because he didn’t reach the time for it so he had to swim on JV.

He then placed 5th in the 100 fly for the JV at districts.

After working his way and gaining more strength this year as a Junior, Garcia made a big impact on Varsity Swim. He was a part of the boys team that placed third overall at districts and he made it to regionals with Medley Relay Team.

So no matter what don’t give up on your dream and “Don’t break a leg. ´´